Arc is Green
Being committed to the community means more to us than simply providing the best service. We want to leave every aspect of our community better.
That’s why our building expansion achieved LEED™ Silver Certification. It’s the first LEED-certified office building in Steuben County and one of the first human service organizations to build green in the nation.
Here’s some of what we did:
- Reduced pollutant exposure – Every copy and printing room has separate outside exhaust to reduce exposure to chemicals.
- Reduced energy use – We use 35 percent less energy than conventional buildings, saving us $100,000 a year.
- Less light pollution – Outdoor fixtures light only the areas that need it.
- Alternative transportation – We dedicate 10 parking spots to car poolers and hybrid vehicles; and provide bicycle racks and shower facilities for cyclists.
- New furniture that was purchased is made from recycled materials and is recyclable.
- Less water use – All our fixtures are water efficient. Toilets use only one gallon per flush.
- Recycled materials – We used them whenever possible during construction.
- Planet friendly – Our heating and cooling system doesn’t use hydro or fluorocarbons.
- Reduce, reuse recycle – A recycling center on every floor, and recyclables collected at every desk.